This article explains how to configure the General Ledger income accounts for employee times when exported as sales.
This applies for the following exportable documents:
- Invoices: applies only to the invoice lines containing billable time entries.
- Purchases: does not apply
- Expenses: does not apply.
Configurable general ledger accounts:
- Income accounts: for sales.
Source of the times that can be mapped:
- Applies to time entries logged in a service ticket.
- Applies to time entries logged in a project.
- By service type: for timesheets logged as part of a service ticket, we can assign GL accounts based on the service type / board.
By the work type
By the work role
If the time entry corresponds to a project: we can map by the project type, or create a GL mapping specific to one particular project.
Creating your mappings
- In Connectwise, open the GL Accounts module which can be accessed by navigating to System > Setup Tables, then search by the "General Ledger" category, and select the GL Accounts table. This will bring up the general ledger list.
Create a new mapping record
In the Account Type, select Revenue.
In the Table, you will have the following options:
Select the right option depending on your preferred mapping method. Examples of these are explained above.
Options to map against a company group, structure (location) and company owner are also available which can be used as catch-all default options.
The Record field will be loaded with the options depending on the criteria selected in the Table field. For example, if you chose Project Type, then this will list all available project types. Pick one to create the mapping against it. Same for all other criteria such as service types, work roles, etc.
In the Account field enter the income account.
New or updated mappings will be applied to an invoice when it becomes closed. If an invoice is already closed, you will need to change its status back to any other status (example: New), save it, then close it again for the changes in the GL settings to apply. Similar situation for expenses and purchase orders: note that in the case of purchase orders, every item is received/closed individually. For more details on this, please refer to your Connectwise documentation.
This is a screenshot of the integration software showing invoices ready for export. Invoice 288 is highlighted in red. .
You can click the red exclamation mark icon to view the details of all error messages. In this exercise we will focus on the one about the time entry.
- Find the original time entry. In our example, it is logged against a service ticket.
- In this example, we decided to create one against the service type of the ticket. Our ticket is of type "Proactive" which is part of the "Professional Services" board.
- We create a GL mapping for Revenue with Service Type: "Professional Services - Proactive" as per the sample screenshots above, with income account 4-1200.
- We then find the invoice in the Invoice Search module in Connectwise. Change the billing status from Closed to New, save it, then back to Closed, save it again. This will apply the new mappings onto that invoice.
- We come back to the integration application, click "Retrieve Data" to refresh the list. And we will now find the new mapping applied to our time entry. You can see that the income account 4-1200 now appears in that line. The reason that line still shows highlighted in red is because we haven't yet resolved the other issue about the missing Item Number which is covered in the link provided above.